Popular Posts

Wednesday 21 August 2019

The Wet Towel Version


The wet towel version. Who can resist such a challenge?

There is such a heaviness in a load of wet towels: it can nearly do your back in just to carry them outside to hang. The towelling is perfectly designed to absorb liquid, and it takes a stiff breeze and – if you’re lucky – a warm sun to get them fully dry again.

Sometimes, situations in life seem to soak me, and I grow increasingly heavy, like a wet towel. I absorb anxieties of those I love; I get soaked by the spray of injustices and sprinkled with effluent from the global stage. I crumple into the hamper, damp and heavy with concerns.

That’s when I need to be tossed into the prayer window, where God can give me a good scrub and then hang me out to dry in the wind of the Spirit, warmed by the Son. Only when I am dry am I going to be of any use to anyone.

Just like a towel.


No comments:

Post a Comment