Popular Posts

Thursday 16 December 2021

Barren

 

Looking at the bare, three-trunk Norwegian maple outside my window, I reflect that if I were a tree-climber, this would be the time of year to strategize the best route to the top. When all sturdy branches are revealed, I can see the safe steps which would bring me to my destination. Once the spring foliage bursts out, the clean lines of the safe route are obscured, and I am left to guess or feel my way upward.

The world feels barren and cold in this bleak midwinter, when omicron drives us apart once more. The pandemic feels endless, but spring will come. During this time, if I can discipline myself to listen, God can reveal the best next steps in our lives. The leaves have fallen; the branches are bare; God is my guide. May I be ever alert and aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment