Popular Posts

Thursday 17 February 2022

Treasures

 


Treasures.

‘Gramma,’ Flick said. ‘This is for you.’

She handed me a small, padded blue box. On the front were pictured Anna and Elsa from Frozen, a favourite movie of hers, favourite characters. (I always have to braid her hair ‘like Elsa’s’ when she comes).

‘Oh, no,’ I objected. ‘Those are your favourite characters. You keep it.’

But no, she insisted. It was for me.

I’m keeping earrings in that box now. It’s a real treasure box. It cost the giver something to give it to me. She gave me something she couldn’t replace, something she valued.

I love the story of Jesus watching the widow putting her last ‘mite’ into the temple offering. He was so impressed with the sacrifice of her gift. Not only did it reveal her love for God; it also revealed her trust in him to provide for her needs.

May I have such generosity in my heart today, Lord, that I give that which costs me something to give. May I give of my treasures, with joy and trust, out of love, to those I meet.

Mainly, may I give you, Lord, that which I treasure, out of love, expecting nothing in return. Help me, Lord, to love you more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment