Popular Posts

Friday 13 May 2022

Gifts of God

I heard this morning that one of my sons, his wife and one of their children have all tested positive for Covid. My first instinct was to wonder how I could help. Could I go in there, risking infection myself? Could I send meals? What could I do?

In my morning meditations I was encouraged to think of God as being the God who says ‘Yes!’ to his children. We were considering the story of Jesus turning water into wine at the wedding. His willingness to treat us with love and care, delighting us with surprises small and big.

I look back at my two weeks away and see his hand in so many blessings, small and big. Timings of appointments, parking places, choosing the right direction when lost on a road because the satnav lost signal. The unstinting generosity and kindness of my cousin and his wife, looking after me with food and lodging. The caring attitude of staff towards my mother in the home where she lives. Even the detail that I was able to get there in time to attend a memorial service with Mom for a lovely lady who was once, in the far-distant past, my Sunday school teacher.

We have a God who says Yes to us. So often we miss his smile and his Yes, because we are looking in the wrong place or we just don’t even expect it. I bet each one of us could look back over the last week or day and see many signs of the hand of our loving Lord helping us carry the load, smiling down as he gives us treats large and small.

What a God we have, who gave his life for us. You don’t get any bigger a gift than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment