Popular Posts

Wednesday 6 July 2022

Sweet Cherries

 

I hear a pigeon cooing nearby. Has he just been stealing the unripe cherries? We’ve always blamed the fat pigeons for rarely having any cherries to harvest ourselves, but yesterday Don noticed a cohort of song birds flitting through the trees, too. Oh well. We don’t work for those cherries – unlike the strawberries, which require some in-put to result in a sweet and bountiful harvest. I net those – though a few wily birds manage to scoot in underneath.

As Christians, we should live like the unnetted cherries: there for others to savour and experience the sweetness of Christ. We don’t need to be mature and ripe for others to experience the goodness of God through us. Sometimes it’s the enthusiasm and joy which draws others to Jesus.

I don’t want to be precious about tradition or dogma; Jesus wants me to be a sweet smell, a sweet taste, wherever I am today. So may I drink deep at his well, and take refreshing attitudes and actions into the weary, worn-out world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment