Popular Posts

Tuesday 20 February 2024

A Knock at the Door?

 

The bread-maker stopped churning. The lights flickered and died.

Another power cut.

A minute later, the lights flashed on again, and the doorbell rang a few times. Insistently, as if an impatient visitor waited outside. What a contrast to the way Jesus comes to a person’s heart.

‘Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.’

Yesterday, at the end of a quiet day of prayer and fasting with a group of fellow believers, we shared communion. It happened that the small table holding the elements was right in front of me, reminding me of a memorable talk at a Cherish conference a few years ago. It was a talk on the 23 Psalm, and the speaker acted out the verses: ‘you set a table before me in the presence of my enemies’. The speaker imagined Jesus sitting with him, on the other side of the table, and spoke of how one’s attention would be focused on him, rather than the enemies circling round about.

Yesterday, after many contemplative hours, I was focused. The distractions which so often whisper and rage were ignored.

I came away filled, refreshed. Thank you, Jesus.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment