Popular Posts

Wednesday 3 October 2012

Resurrection Bodies!



Still digesting a Tom Wright book, Surprised by Hope, which I read as part of a book group. We met to discuss last night and as I continue to chew over some of the ideas, I find I am increasingly surprised by hope. 

There were so many ideas discussed in the book but I suppose the main one that will change the way I look at the rest of my life is that Jesus’ resurrection shows that his kingdom is here on earth now...and not yet. We see it breaking through, but it won’t be fully realized until he returns to us on earth and we, too, receive resurrection bodies, stand before the judgment seat, and then take up our positions stewarding his creation for all eternity. What we are doing with our time now on earth is important because the things we do to help build the kingdom will last throughout eternity. 

I guess this book has impacted my understanding of what happens after death. I’ve always before dismissed interest in all the arguments about it because I have been satisfied that as long as Jesus is there, whatever it’s like is ok with me. But now, understanding better the Scriptural promises for what it will be like when we are living under the lordship of Jesus in the eternal kingdom of God ... wow. 

I’m excited to get on with building the kingdom - by allowing his Spirit to work through me in spreading kindness, gentleness, love, peace. By lobbying for justice for the oppressed and marginalised. By speaking out for the vulnerable. By loving my neighbour. 

I better go. There's lots to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment