Popular Posts

Tuesday 23 October 2012

Spanning the Globe



Several years ago, Doug and I were at a self-catering holiday place on Loch Lomond with some others. One morning we noticed the mother duck had a queue of ducklings parading behind her. The next morning we noticed that one duckling was missing. Each subsequent morning, another duckling had disappeared. Finally, we could no longer identify the mother duck, because she looked like all the other ducks. No babies.

My ducklings don’t queue up behind me anymore. Actually, I don’t think they ever did! The rebel in them resisted such precision. The chaotic in me welcomed running and jumping, within reason...
I’ve got a duckling in Australia at the moment. Two in California. One in Scotland. Quack as I might, they’ll never hear me. 

But in my heart and mind, they’re always near. They may not be queueing up behind me, but then they never did. In my memory, they still run and jump, sometimes rebelliously, sometimes joyfully chaotically, within earshot. I pray that where they are, right now, they are still running and jumping joyfully.

Can a mother forget the baby she bore? God asks rhetorically in the Bible. Even if she can, God continues, he is not the sort of father who ever forgets his children. Ever. No matter how near, nor how far.

I suppose there are moments when I’m not thinking of one or another of my children. But not many.

Praise God for e-mail. And that I can trust Him to hold them in the palm of his hand, far more securely than I ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment