Popular Posts

Saturday 8 June 2013

Fragrance of Jesus



Walking Dusty in the late afternoon yesterday, with the sun hot on my head and the smells rising from the undergrowth, I suddenly sniffed something which transported me back to Camp Suanga, a Camp Fire Girls day camp in north Long Beach that I went to as a child. I don’t know what it was. But it took me right back.

The power of odours is amazing. With pinpoint precision they scoot you to another place and another time, be it happy or sad, peaceful or turbulent. 

Sometimes I catch a whiff of a man’s after shave which reminds me of my dad – a good memory, or of a former boss from long ago – a neutral memory. The smell of nail varnish reminds me of my sister, as we used to spend time painting our nails and sharing our secrets in high school and at university. Good memories.

The Bible says that believers are the fragrance of Christ. We are attractive to those who are open to Jesus. We are a smelly odour to those who aren’t.

We can only be the fragrance of Christ when we carry him in us, when we are submitted to his Lordship in our lives and are living all out for him, as far as we are able. 

Otherwise we probably only smell of shower gel.

No comments:

Post a Comment