Popular Posts

Thursday 20 June 2013

Shed that heavy cape



For some reason, this morning on our walk I was remembering the heavy lead (?) cape which the dentist used to wrap round your shoulders to prevent the x-rays going where they shouldn’t go, when he was x-raying your teeth. Maybe they still use those capes, but I’ve not had it on for years.

I remember how heavy it hung on my shoulders. How awkward it was to sling round your shoulders.
It reminds me of the responsibilities I carry. The responsibilities Don carries. They weigh us down. They elicit sighs from time to time. Mutterings of ‘weary, weary’ from Don. 

I’m then reminded of Jesus’ invitation. ‘Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke on you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble and you will find rest for your souls.’ 

The modern paraphrase from The Message is wonderful. ‘Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.’

The unforced rhythms of grace. Nothing heavy on my shoulders. I don’t think he means we are to cease caring about those we love, or adopt a ‘whatever’ attitude to life. But as we share our burdens with Jesus, they cease to be burdens and perhaps even become blessings. 

Which of course, most of them are anyway. Most of the burdens we carry are for those we love. 

Blessings every one.

I’m going to ask God to help me shed that heavy cape today. I want to wear the gossamer one that Jesus gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment