Popular Posts

Monday 10 June 2013

Life or Death



OK, another Dusty moment.

It is a beautiful day, let me just preface my remarks with that statement, because it is perfect out there. Sun, light breeze, warmth.

We did our walk backwards this morning for some reason. Dusty was definitely in the lead and that was her choice. So straight down the road and then turned into the lane, past the pasture of cows and their calves. While approaching the duck pond I noticed a deer leap up from the undergrowth and sprint off towards the woods. I exclaimed, “Deer!” and Dusty was off.

She couldn’t see it. She never did see it. But she trusted me to be calling out something that she finds exciting. (Let me reassure readers she may give a burst of speed but at 12 years old she never gets anywhere near the fleet-footed deer. If she did, I wouldn’t act as watchman for her.)

The deer had been startled by our approach and disappeared before danger threatened. For the deer, it is life or death. For Dusty, it’s a game.

Whose voice do I trust? Whose words or tone of voice imparts excitement and an immediate response in me? 

Friends and family whom I love. Trouble is, they are as fallible as I am. They may get excited by the latest fad and I may join in the chase without ever really seeing what I’m chasing after. Maybe I see it from afar but don’t realize that if I were to catch it, it wouldn’t be as wonderful as I imagine. Maybe I think it is a game, when really it is life or death.

Trust in the Lord, and don't lean on your own understanding.

I need a filter on my ears, so that my immediate responses are only to God’s words. I will take time to consider my response to others’ excitement.

It may be life or death.

No comments:

Post a Comment