Popular Posts

Monday 26 May 2014

Thin Places



A glorious spring day in Scotland. As I rounded the stand of trees on our usual walk, I paused to wait for Dusty to catch up. The birdsong soared through the air – I don’t know one from another but together their chorus is beautiful. The sun shone down; the grass rippled, its heads rustled by the soft breeze, and the air smelled fresh and clean.

I gazed round the open park and marvelled that we live in such a place, where we can wander out into an uncultivated rough space and drink in the beauty without it costing us anything. We don’t have to pay for this privilege. We don’t have to work for it – wonderful that the ground doesn’t belong to us, and carries no responsibilities for us to meet. 

The earth is the Lord’s and everything that is in it. And he loves us to enjoy it, to appreciate it, to make the most of the beauty that is all around us. 

Enjoying it leads me to a deeper appreciation for its creator, awakening my senses to his presence and exciting gratitude and praise in my heart to him. Jesus advised that the most important thing to do is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, spirit and mind, and your neighbour as yourself.

A spot of natural beauty is one of those ‘thin places’ where it’s relatively easy to draw near to God and love him. And his love in me is healing to my soul, and helps me to love others – which isn’t  always easy to do in my own strength.

The joy of the Lord is your strength. May you glimpse some natural beauty today and consider the creator who made it. And give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment