Popular Posts

Friday 2 May 2014

The right key?



Do you have the right key?

Don walked Dusty this morning so that I could get to my appointment on time.

That was the plan. Until I went out, fortunately slightly early, and discovered that I couldn’t find the key to his car, which was blocking my car in the garage. I ran around the house like a maniac for a few minutes and then realized, I would need to run out there to try and find him.

Sure to find him feeding the horses. His horses. Hah. But no, no sign of him. I had to keep going, aware of the wristwatch ticking the seconds and minutes past. Round onto the muddy path in my heeled boots. Not exactly running by now. 

Rounding the edge of the wood I spied him chatting amiably to the neighbour, the dogs frolicking in the sunshine. He reacted with surprise, then sheepishly shouted where he’d put the key – in an unusual place I’d never have looked. 

Having set out to arrive at the nurse’s fresh as a daisy and with time to spare, I eventually dashed in, sweating and panting, and discovered that the computer had already wiped me off the valid appointments for the day since I was five minutes late.

However, all’s well .... the nurse saw me immediately and agreed that keys are always lost at the most inconvenient moments. 

Without the key to Don’s car, I was totally stuck, despite having the right key to my own wee car. 

How often in life we get stuck on something because we are missing the key which could unlock the door to the next level. Jesus challenged people to believe in him, to have faith in him – even the tiniest bit of faith could move mountains, he said.

Faith is the key.

I believe – help my unbelief, said a man desperate for a solution for his son’s condition, but miserable because though he wanted to believe, he felt there was a parcel of unbelief within him.

I know how that feels. I was just reminded, though, that when David faced Goliath, he didn’t look at the giant and feel overwhelmed, but looked beyond at God, trusted in him and felled the giant. 

Having chased after one key this morning, I am now going to calmly take this key from the Bible, and focus on God as I pray for situations which often look gargantuan to me.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment