Popular Posts

Thursday 16 April 2015

God is Able



Our God is able. That is the message blaring from my CD just now. He is with us; he will make a way.

How often I have needed to hear such encouragements! How grateful I am that I know they are not empty platitudes but truths grounded in the faithfulness and love of our wonderful God.

It’s been a morning. Waking to an email and skype with more disturbing news from the Long Beach home front, and knowing that decisions will need to be made. I don’t feel up to them. Thank the good Lord that he is able. He is with me. He will make a way. 

Then a phone call with someone else who is hurting, fasting for a situation to change, clinging to his Saviour. I want to sweep in and make it all ok but the truth is, I can’t. I have no power. But hallelujah, our God is able. He is with them. He will make a way.

A Bible study discussing the justice of a holy God. A challenging and disturbing topic in some ways but yet again, so glad that no judgment calls are required of me. Our God is able and he will make all such decisions. 

A discussion of the plight of our dear sisters and brothers in the Nineveh Plain in Iraq, and in Syria, where Christianity is in peril of being wiped out after two millennia of believers inhabiting these countries. I want to do something. What can I do? The West has already messed things up in those areas by wading in unwisely. Praise God, that he is able. He is with them. He will make a way. My job is to pray and to trust and to listen for any further directions from him who is able.

A further discussion of the situation in Russia and in various European countries where xenophobia is on the rise, racism and anti-Semitism gaining adherents daily. The increasingly belligerent rhetoric coming from the Kremlin and Washington and London and other major cities. Planes being intercepted within territorial waters. Submarines snagging the nets of fishing boats and refusing to surface. Disturbing. Alarming even. Thank God, that he is able. He knows what is coming. He can guide my prayers and keep me attentive. 

Yet one more disturbing topic: maternal mortality round the world, but one third of all deaths come from just two countries: India and Nigeria. How can this be, when these countries have funds for space exploration and nuclear development? When will women’s rights be seen as human rights and treated accordingly? More prayer: will I ever get off my knees? Thank God, he is able; he is powerful and just and loving and merciful. 

Ending with a favourite section of scripture, from Philippians 4. ‘Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.’

Amen and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment