Popular Posts

Wednesday 5 August 2015

Deadheading


The profusion of blooms on the rose bushes is enhanced by frequent deadheading. I’m not sure why, but I believe it is because the plant then wastes no energy in trying to ‘service’ a bloom which has died, and can invest that energy into creating new and beautiful blooms.

The application of that to life, to my life anyway, is obvious. Unhelpful experiences from the past can be like dead heads, robbing me of vitality and growth. Guilty secrets can drain the colour out of life.  

God says ‘I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.’ Isaiah 43. If God is able to forget our guilty secrets, shouldn’t we give ourselves a break and forgive ourselves?

So in order to flourish and blossom and bloom lavishly in life, we need to deadhead the regrets and the mistakes and the sins, throw them all onto Jesus because he bore them all for us on the cross.
Then, for a rose bush to be profuse, it needs to be fed and watered regularly. Reading God’s word and hearing his voice speaking into our own situations is food and water to the soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment