Popular Posts

Monday 10 August 2015

Irritating Beauty



It’s a gorgeous summer day – warm enough to consider donning a pair of shorts and getting out there in the garden and getting some real work done. The flowers are lovely just now – rose bushes loaded with fragrant blooms, various spiky yellow and purple bushes scatter around the garden and of course my favourite, the sweet peas are blooming their sweet smelling heads off. 

I’m not even out there yet but already I am sneezing, violent sneezes as my body rejects the pollen in the air. 

Why are things of such beauty such a trial for so many of us?

I’ve just been reading a verse from Philippians. ‘...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praise-worthy – think about such things.’ 

When I really breathe that deep into my spirit, I find myself expelling petty thoughts, jealousies, and criticisms. I believe it is almost automatic – that if I can focus on such positive and encouraging thoughts, then I will ‘sneeze’ out the negative and critical meannesses which can weasel their way into my thinking. 

The trick is to make it a habit to think about such things.

I’m off to sneeze my way round the garden, thinking noble thoughts. With God’s help.

No comments:

Post a Comment