Popular Posts

Sunday 15 November 2015

Tara's Theme



Strains of the theme from Gone with the Wind come from the radio and I feel like crying. 

Such an epic film, one of overwhelming magnitude in my early years when I saw it first. The scene with Atlanta burning. The desperation of the despicable Scarlet as she does whatever it takes to save Tara. The heart-breaking final line uttered by Rhett, ‘Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.’ 

Followed by the words of the irrepressible Scarlet as she gathers all that is within her and vows to herself, ‘Well, I’ll think about that tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day.’

It’s an epic film because it focuses on a time of huge upheaval and trauma and transition, a time when Southern society was shaken to its core and had to find a new way to do life, when families were split on either side of the divide. A time of death and destruction and disaster.  A time like now in many areas of the world.

And after the Paris attacks on Friday night, the quaking and shattering of societal norms has come to our neighbourhood. The fearful atrocities claim innocent victims in shocking, callous and brutal ways. Ways that have been happening in Iraq and Syria for months, years even, and now it feels as if the darkness is seeping towards us. 

Hosanna! We sang in church today, and never have I sung it with more conviction. God save us! Hosanna! We don’t have a clue how to stop this war but God has the answer. 

Because my hope is in Him, I can say, like Scarlett, that tomorrow is another day. We cannot give way to despair or fear but continue to put our hope and trust in the God who loves the world so much he came and died so that we may live with him forever.

Tomorrow is another day. Paris will be in my prayers but so will Baghdad and Beirut and .... the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment