Popular Posts

Friday 14 July 2017

Freedom



In the summer time, when the weather was fine, (in Southern California anyway), I could be found sawing away on my cello for two hours every day. We had three months of summer vacation so my mom had devised lots of things to keep us out of trouble. But for that discipline, I am very grateful.
Because now, decades down the line, I can still pull out my trusty cello (which has been my companion since I was about 9) and coax a reasonable sound from it. I’m rusty and sometimes feel frustrated that some of the concertos and so on are beyond me now, but to be able to join in with Sunday worship on this lovely instrument is a joy. So a big thank-you to Mom for keeping my sister and me practicing. (Note to any parents struggling to keep their kids practicing music: persevere.)

Bring up a child in the way she should go and she won’t depart from it, the Bible advises. I don’t think the writer had the cello in mind, but if the verse fits ...

My sister Judy and I had so much fun, sometimes trying out duets (with her on the violin) and sometimes trading instruments, which wasn’t all that lovely to listen to! Remembering dearest Judy today, 31 years after she went home to Jesus. Still miss her like crazy, maybe even more now...

She was such a Francophile, that it brings a sad smile to my face to think of her being released from her disease-wracked body, which had become a virtual prison for her, into the freedom of heaven, on the day the French celebrate the storming of the Bastille prison and the release of so many political prisoners languishing inside. God is good, even in the horrible times.

No comments:

Post a Comment