Popular Posts

Wednesday 14 February 2018

Living in the Moment, Valentine



The phone rings out in an empty apartment. Speaking to 93-year-old Mom is dependent on her being in her apartment. At the same time, my smart phone pings with a message from a son on a train in the Central Belt. No need for him to be in his apartment for us to be in touch. 

Progress? I can imagine him in a train carriage. Instead of a hum of conversation, there will be the ping and pong of mobiles. Everyone living in another place. Nobody in the moment.

At least I know that my Mom will be living in the moment. Wherever she is just now, she is fully engaged. Laughing at a breakfast table with friends. Enjoying a comment with someone in the hallway, or at the reception desk. 

There is something to be said about the old ways. Even if it delays a phone conversation. I just wanted to wish her a happy Valentines day, seeing she is my oldest valentine. Blessed to still have her.


No comments:

Post a Comment