Popular Posts

Wednesday 21 March 2018

Hiking

She slid past me into the window seat. I always get an aisle. I noticed her hiking boots and thick socks. Her utilitarian jumper with a lightweight turtle neck layer beneath. Her cargo pants. Everything told me this lady was off on a walking holiday, until I noticed her outsized red handbag.

I had stowed my roll aboard in the compartment above, and had my handbag with reading matter under the seat in front. Perhaps I, too, looked quite utilitarian until you notice my red fingernails.

Life is a journey. A pilgrimage. We all carry our baggage differently. Some of us look like we are travelling light when actually we are carrying huge weights inside us, dragging us down. Others may drag a heavy suitcase but inside, spiritually, be soaring light.

Today I am depending on my saviour to keep me travelling light. I'll let him bear the weight for me, as I stride along with my bright red fingernails (which may well be chipped by the time I arrive, but maybe that is another blog...)

Perhaps we all cling to one or two quirks that set us apart from the rest. A red handbag as she strides over the Alps.

No comments:

Post a Comment