Popular Posts

Tuesday 6 March 2018

Three-ring Circus



‘It’s like a 3-ring circus,’ my dad used to say, describing anything that was a bit chaotic. I wonder if 3-ring circuses even exist anymore? Mmm, in my memory I can smell the hay and the animals, sense the steamy heat in the Big Top Tent, and thrill to the energetic music as the Ringmaster ran into the centre and introduced the acts taking place in the three rings, all at the same time. Clowns, trapeze artists, animal acts. As a child, it was just amazing. (I hasten to say that I don’t agree with animals in circuses, but the memory lingers on...)

I sat down to be with God this morning, and my mind was like a 3-ring circus. I was reading the Bible when I realised that though my conscious mind was recognising the words in their coherent order, below that level I was thinking about my mother’s insurance and my nagging tooth ... it was a 3-ring circus, without the razzmatazz, just the chaos.

Jesus spoke peace into the storm at sea, and the wind and waves ceased and peace was restored. I reminded myself of a verse from a recent reading, Psalm 34:4: I sought the Lord and he answered me, he delivered me from all my fears, and I breathed deeply. My peace, Jesus claimed, is different from any other peace. You’ll never understand it, but it is real and it is powerful and it calmed my mind and helped me regain focus on him.

Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment