Popular Posts

Monday 12 March 2018

Let them come!


Let the children come to me, Jesus said.

Toddlers staggered around clutching sippy cups; pre-schoolers danced around with excitement; babies gurgled or fussed or slept. Church gathered for the dedication of one of our precious grandchildren.

I sat in the second row, husband on one side of me, youngest son on the other. In front of me sat the other two sons, daughters-in-law and grandchildren. We sang a new chorus, new to me anyway, expressing a sentiment that although I look like I’m surrounded by troubles, God is surrounding me. There was a physical gap where Mhairi would have loved to be sitting, but I know that in spirit she filled that gap. So there I sat, on Mothering Sunday, surrounded by my tribe, surrounded by God. Gathered to pray a special blessing on the youngest grandson. Gathered to celebrate life, love, and the Lord.

Watching my boys, the brothers, cuddling each other’s children, playing with them, rocking them to sleep: I needed no gifts or cards or sentiments (though I did receive them! – thank you!).
Let the children come to me. And they did. Profoundly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment