Popular Posts

Sunday 4 November 2018

Slightly Wonky


I spent a happy Friday afternoon building a red car out of cake for grandson Gregor’s second birthday party. Following a guide on YouTube, I was attempting to copy what the instructor demonstrated.

The cake didn’t rise as well as hers did. Oh well, I thought, it can be a low-riding sports car. She recommended piping the frosting on, but then, she sounded like she was in sizzling Australia where the butter cream icing remains soft and pliable, not in a cold farmhouse in northeastern Scotland where it goes brick hard. I spread it and smoothed it with a knife dunked in boiling water. I discovered later that I should have rested the piping bags on the radiator – but then, it hadn’t been on yet when I was decorating the cake.

End result? A slightly wonky car with a flat tire. Did Greg notice? No, I think I got away with it…

Whatever you do, do it in love, Scripture advises. I may not utter the perfect prayer when in a group or meeting; I may not remember the name of the new girl coming in the church door but I can still smile a warm welcome; I am not perfect. Despite our apprehensions, it’s the love that others see, not the perfect offering. It’s the love that God sees.

My life might look a mess, slightly crooked and with a flat tire. But God sees my heart. I don’t have to be perfect before I come to him.


No comments:

Post a Comment