Popular Posts

Tuesday 18 August 2020

New Roof

 

Can’t keep a good man down. He may be 73, but he is building the scaffolding, positioning the roofing ladders, climbing up on to the slates to remove each one, painstakingly slowly. One by one, the force he exerts releases the nails and frees the slate intact, to be used by the slater when it’s all being put back together again.

As the slates come off, rotten wood is exposed. The sarking boards, the roof trusses, ancient wood: much of it rotten. Decaying. Left unrenewed, they would have given way eventually, collapsing inwards.

Much of our time is spent in maintaining that outward appearance. We are fine. Yes, it’s tough just now, but we are strong, soaring even. But sometimes, underneath the façade, we are not so fine. We are eaten up by the woodworm of self-doubt, of hurt, of anxiety and fear. We need to expose this inner decay to the light of Christ, so that he can renew us from the inside out.

I think this is a lifelong challenge. Once I start assuming I’m just fine, I discover that actually, there is a bit in there which is about to collapse.

Today may I be transformed by the renewing power of the Holy Spirit, surrendered totally to Jesus so he can work in me to effect change that is lasting, based on who he is and what he has done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment