Popular Posts

Monday 8 February 2021

Slithering Reptiles

 

The huge snake rose up at the top of the plunging slide. In fear, people fled in all directions but the slide was turned towards me. I understood that though the snake had already devoured a man, and despite there being many other people closer to this horrid reptile than me, it was coming for me. The slide was aimed towards me, and when the snake had risen to its full height, it would plummet towards me to eat me.

Then I woke up.

Gregor had had a dream the night before, in which a snake was trying to eat him. I concluded that the suggestion of his dream had been the conception of mine.

But my readings right now are in Daniel, and as I considered the way Daniel went to God to beg for wisdom concerning Nebuchadnezzar’s dream, I thought I ought to do the same. Maybe such a nightmare was a warning to me, a warning from God.

I believe God showed me a meaning. The snake, I understood, rising up preparing to strike, represented all the fearful things going on in the world just now. Pandemic, climate change, economic collapse, nations in political turmoil. Huge threats to hope. He had already consumed the hope of one man. He had me in his sights.

Knowledge is power. Rather than fleeing the threat, a turned to it in my mind and sang the old chorus, ‘Jesus is King, and I will adore him, give him the honour and magnify his name. He reigns on high, enthroned in the heavens; Word of the Father exalted for us.’

I will not let my hope be consumed by the snake of fear. ‘May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.’

The snake is defeated by the faith of Jesus’ followers boldly proclaiming that Jesus has already won the battle, and we claim his victory. However dark it may look, the light of life shines through. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment