Popular Posts

Friday 19 February 2021

Meticulous Navigation

 

“The joiner is meticulous,” Don said. “If the plaster board on the ceiling is a tiny fraction out, we unscrew it and make it right.”

Of course. A small discrepancy can lead to a gaping hole by the end of the room.

I thought again about the BBC program I watched the other night. It documented the relationship between evangelical American Christians, Israel and Trump. It led me to question what I should call myself. A name should reveal principles and beliefs that I espouse, and if by calling myself a Christian, I am associated – in the minds of unbelievers – with the same beliefs as those evangelicals, I don’t want to call myself that. I may adopt one of two other names I’ve heard – ‘red letter Christians’, who stick to the words of Jesus as highlighted in red in many Bibles – or Jesus-follower. In my Bible study group yesterday, we read in Acts that it was in Antioch that believers were first called Christians. What a beautiful name, and what a privilege to be associated as a disciple of a healer, a man of peace, a man of justice and mercy and love who embraced all peoples no matter their creed or colour or gender. It is such a privilege to bear the name of Jesus Christ – and it fills me with sorrow to think how tarnished that name now is.

If a ship’s navigator is slightly out in his calculations, a ship may never reach its destination. The navigator has to be meticulous, constantly checking the ship’s position. Everyone who calls themselves by the name of Jesus Christ has to be meticulous, checking their viewpoints by the words and actions of Jesus as recorded in Scripture. Otherwise, what starts out as a small misunderstanding or misinterpretation can grow into a huge and horrible gap, where a believer is embracing a twisted theology and living out of a self-centred misunderstanding. Instead of being a witness to the love of Jesus, one can become a witness to human motivations and calculated manipulations.

I am reminded, yet again, of the absolute importance of prayerful Bible reading, and the helpfulness of studying Scripture with other believers. It’s as we gather, even on Zoom, that we find our understanding illuminated.

No comments:

Post a Comment