Popular Posts

Sunday 9 May 2021

Throne of Grace

 

Sitting in the prayer window as dusk deepens and grey skies give way to darkness. ‘You are here…’ echoes in my mind. I hum as I write. Turning lives around. Healing broken hearts. You are here, Jesus.

He has been here always. He’s never not been here, but I … I don’t always appreciate his presence. Tonight, I am full of gratitude. I had an eventful week last week. Tomorrow we get to have some time in Edinburgh. A little business to do, and then maybe an art gallery, a walk, a meal out (literally…)

Unable to sleep last night, I read through the book of Jonah. Then one of my grandsons acted out the story of Jonah at church today, and told me, with great self-assurance, ‘I already read that story. I know that story.’

Well, so did I. But last night, I was reminded of a great verse I’d marked years ago. Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs. That isn’t the verse Greg will have learned today in his junior church class, probably. But isn’t it challenging? Isn’t it amazing?

Time for some soul-searching, to ferret out any worthless idols I’ve tucked away in my heart. With a heart full of praise, I approach the throne of grace … on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment