Popular Posts

Tuesday 10 August 2021

Break in the Clouds

 

Drops like giants’ tears soaked the earth overnight, but it was dry as I headed south. Dry, but the sky was a textured ceiling of shades of grey. The summer warmth, always welcome to me however it comes, arrived in a muggy heaviness.

Suddenly there was a break in the clouds. A glimpse of blue sky, growing as the swirling mass of moisture shifted in the wind. The sun shone through.

Sometimes life is heavy with worry, with work, or with responsibilities. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed, hemmed in, trapped.

Last week, I had such a day, such a moment. We don’t have a choice with the weather, but we do with our moods, attitudes and reactions. God opened a space in my day and called me out to walk with him. Miraculously, given the steady gnattering of my thoughts, I heard his invitation and responded. He changed my thinking; he healed my hurt; he quietened my heart and shone his light into my life.

God doesn’t want us to power through, to go it alone. He provides breaks in the clouds which hang over us. It might be a walk, to listen, to draw near to him, just to be. It might be a song. A call from a friend. A verse from the Bible. A voice on the radio. A beautiful sunset.

It’s our choice to go with our own self-centred thoughts, or go with his.

Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. It’s a decision. A choice to make every day.

May I make a good choice today, and respond to the prompting of our loving Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment