Popular Posts

Thursday 19 August 2021

Gratitude Gap

 

I reversed the new-to-us car into the parking bay, concerned that my water bottle had leaked onto the passenger seat. I uncharacteristically slipped the gear into neutral and turned off the engine, distracted by the wet spot on the seat. I didn’t put on the hand brake.

Fussing needlessly over the seat, I was startled when the car suddenly crunched into the perimeter grille of the parking building. I had rolled across the line of traffic coming into the structure, through an empty parking bay and … crump.

It didn’t look too bad. Until Doug looked at it when I got home, and noticed a tear, an impact result and a few more scratches.

First time I’d driven the car. A moment of carelessness and a resulting saga of body shop repairs and bills.

This morning, though, I’m thanking God for what didn’t happen. I didn’t broadside some unsuspecting driver looking for a parking space. Nobody broadsided me. I didn’t mow down a sick or elderly patient staggering towards the hospital (that’s where I was). Or a child.

Trying to get my head into the gratitude gap this morning rather than the if-only mode. I do thank God for his grace and mercy, for the protection he affords daily, even when unfortunate events happen.

It’s only metal. Could have been so much worse. Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment