Popular Posts

Wednesday 11 August 2021

The Agony

 

It’s almost too painful to listen to the news. Why do I do it? Masochism? I hope not. The reports from Afghanistan are appalling – women on the run as the Taliban fighters sweep in, preparing to usher in a dark age for that beleaguered nation. Tales from east Jerusalem, where Palestinian families are being forced to tear down their houses with their bare hands and move on, make me cringe and weep. The accounts of wildfires burning in large swathes of one of the coldest areas on earth, Siberia, reveal the terrible damage we humans are causing our environment. I know I am helpless; without God these situations are hopeless.

That’s only three of the thousands of black holes in our world today, and yet God, in his might and majesty and love, is working in them all. There is a light shining in the darkness, and the darkness hasn’t overcome it.

The news is so bleak it should bring me to my knees, and as I join my prayers with the millions of others around the world, we partner with God to turn these disasters round.

May I pray in the Spirit throughout this day, confident that my prayers don’t hit a glass ceiling, but penetrate to the halls and throne of the Almighty God, whose promise is to answer the cries of our hearts. In Christ alone there is hope for this world, so mangled and twisted by greed and pride and power-hungry humanity. God so loved the world, that he sent his one and only, much-loved Son.

Hosanna. Come, Prince of Peace. Maranatha.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment