Popular Posts

Saturday 23 April 2022

Harmonies

 

This morning I was encouraged to think about the music of the gospel. I had a real revelation. As a cellist, I have never reached a degree of musicality where I could fly free from the printed sheet. Occasionally I work out a slight harmony or variation, but I am not confident with my keys and chords and therefore, to take off on a flight of creative musicality is not possible. I once felt I was getting close to being set free to do that, but the group I was in encountered problems with finding a time to practice together, and so we disbanded. Practice, for me, would have been key to unlocking the sense of freedom to fly.

This morning I thought about how wedded to tradition, or, dare I say, even our preferred version of the Word, we can be. We can become so focused on the printed music of our religious tradition that we are unable to experience the freedom Jesus came to give us, the freedom the gospel sings out.

I think that Jesus’ teachings are the scaffold on which our faith is built, and within his teachings we are given freedom of expression. That’s why I love The Source translation of the New Testament, which revisits the originals and comes up with new understandings of, in particular for me, the difficult bits concerning women. Some translations seem to fly in the face of the dignity and respect Jesus raised women to, whereas The Source harmonises beautifully with his teachings.

May we all be set free from a slavish adherence to man-made rules, regulations and translations, set free to sing uninhibited love songs to our Saviour through all we are, do and say.

One day (it may not be until I’m in heaven…) I will be able to soar free with my cello, allowing it to sing its heart out as I praise the Lord with it. I pray that we will all be set free here on earth to soar in faith and love, living out the spirit of the word Jesus is.

Maranatha.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment