Popular Posts

Friday 9 September 2022

Spiders in the Shower

 

I turned on the shower and then I noticed her. A huge spider reacted to the warm water falling from above, seeking shelter under a small shampoo bottle. I picked up a small bowl and put it over her.

I couldn’t bear the thought of a spider on the loose near my bare feet. So the bowl protected me from that anxiety. But at the same time, the bowl protected her from the thundering drench of the shower water.

Yesterday’s rains here were monsoon-like in their power. We, like the spider, sheltered under big brollies as we dashed from one indoor space to another. The water bounced off the brollies, but soaked our feet as they splashed through small lakes of water.

Life can pound on us like a monsoon. This week is one of grief: national loss with the death of an inspirational servant-Queen, and also, all over the world, many are devastated by personal loss. Jesus expressed a yearning to gather the people in Jerusalem under his wings, like a mother shelters her brood. He echoed Psalm 91, where God promises to cover us with his feathers, giving us refuge under his wings.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.’

In this time of global deluge, I choose to rest in the shelter of our loving Father. I am so grateful for his loving tenderness, and for the certain hope that one day Jesus will return and dry every tear.a

No comments:

Post a Comment