Popular Posts

Friday 30 September 2022

The Robin Trembled

 

The robin trembled, hunkered down in the corner of the entrance lobby. Obviously, the cat had been disturbed and, thankfully, released her before dealing a fatal bite.

Speaking to her softly, I approached the robin slowly, and carefully enfolded her in my cupped hands. She sat still, making no attempt to escape, allowing herself to be carried outside to the window ledge to recover.

The cat stayed in.

After an hour or so, the robin had regained enough strength to fly away, and she was gone. Such lovely, friendly wee birds.

Consider the birds, Jesus taught. They don’t work, but the Father not only feeds them, but knows each one and cares for them.

How much more does he care for you, Jesus asked his disciples? Where is your faith?

Hurricane Ian has wreaked a terrible path of destruction through Florida and is now regrouping for an assault on South Carolina. The wind outside my window is wild and strong. The world is assaulted by storm forces from every direction: natural disasters (as a result, often, of our profligate living), wars, political and economic turmoil, relationship challenges.

As I cower in the corner of my world, Jesus comes to me, scoops me carefully into his cupped hands, and gently soothes me. He carries me to a safe place and gives me space to breathe, to be restored and refreshed so that once again I, too, can fly.

Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment