Popular Posts

Tuesday 13 September 2022

By his grace in his peace

 

Length of days diminishes as the year journeys on. The sun shines from a sky dappled with white clouds, but its warmth wanes. A gentle breeze teases the branches of the rowan outside the window, heavy-laden with darkening berries.

The little plum tree continues to ripen a harvest of delicious fruit. Apples swell in their last weeks before picking. Three pumpkins, still a deep green, grow in my pumpkin patch – a first time for everything.

After picking and processing strawberries, raspberries, rhubarb, cherries, black and red currants, brambles, and courgettes, I am beginning to flag. The cupboards are filling with jams. The freezer is filling with unprocessed fruit for the winter.

We are rich. I am so aware as I write these words that other places are dry and desiccated, barren and brown. We are blessed, and so I will continue to pick and cook and store up for the winter, whatever I find, whatever I grow.

May I be as diligent in my spiritual life, nurturing a deeper faith by regular watering and feeding on God’s words, opening myself to the Son and yielding myself to the Gardener who trains and prunes. In this season of change, may I rest in the assurance of God’s unchanging love.

May I live without fear of the approaching winter.  

Peace I leave with you, Jesus promised. Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Don’t be afraid. Remain in his peace. By his grace in his peace. Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment