Popular Posts

Thursday 10 November 2022

No Free Lunch

 

There’s no such thing as a free lunch, my dad used to caution.

I picked up an eye lotion I use for dry eyes this morning from the pharmacy. She recognised I usually get it on prescription. I explained I would be away for a couple of weeks so wanted an extra to take with me. She put it into the computer and I got it, as I get all prescriptions, free.

Well, I say free, but of course I’ve paid into the system over the years. The NHS is a system which is tough to maintain, but the idea is that anyone who needs medicine or care can get it, whether or not they have the means to pay for it. Some need more than others, obviously. Is that fair?

I think of the story Jesus told about the workers who were outraged because those who started work a few hours after they did still received the same wages. It isn’t fair, they felt. The employer explained they still received their agreed wage; they only felt aggrieved because they compared themselves to others.

In God, there is such a thing as a free lunch. A free life, actually. Because Jesus lived and died for us and rose to eternal life, he freely gives us his Spirit who enables us to live the life he calls us to live.

I just have to give him my life, and he gives me his.

No, it’s not fair. I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment