Popular Posts

Thursday 3 November 2022

Sabbath Time

 

The clocks have ‘fallen back’ here in the UK. It’s easy enough to change all the clocks (except in the cars!!!), but it’s more challenging to change my body clock. I’m thinking dinner an hour before I should be, and same with bedtime.

So much of what we do is determined by outside, artificial factors. Often it has to be; if we are to have any social interaction, we need to all be adhering to the same clock.

I wonder if that’s one thing we should/could relax when we take sabbath rest. Whichever day that is. Would it not be a relief to be emancipated from the tyranny of time for one day a week, and move to our own rhythm?

I wonder if God had that in mind as an aspect of sabbath? After all, he lives outside of time. Maybe there is a sense in which there is real relief in just embracing freedom from clock-watching, even if only for a few hours? (I’m laughing – obviously then I’ll have to watch the clock if it’s ‘only for a few hours’, so I know when my freedom is over!)

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment