Popular Posts

Sunday 13 November 2022

Thirty Years: a Milestone

 

Thirty years ago, we welcomed a lovely family fleeing from the war in Bosnia to stay with our family, swelling the numbers from six to ten. Last night we celebrated that milestone with the Bosnians who stayed and settled here in Scotland. They sang songs and danced dances they knew from those days before the war. They laughed and we all shed a tear or two. Some have moved back; some have moved on; some have passed away. Children are now grown up into fine young women and men in their 30s and 40s. New children have been born.

Lyubisha took the mic and spoke eloquently, voicing thanks for the welcome Scotland extended to them. Don took the mic and spoke eloquently, too, voicing the truth that they impacted our lives and our children’s lives in immeasurable ways, profound ways. Their impact is reverberating still in some of the social justice causes each of our children has embraced.

It was one of the best things we ever did.

There have been other waves of refugees since, and now the Ukrainians displaced by this war. We thank God that somehow life continues, day follows night, laughter comes in the morning. There are always others eager to extend a helping hand, to open a welcoming door, to pull chairs up round a dinner table.

We are the family of God. We are all God’s children. May I never grow too weary to open my heart and open my door. May my ear always be open to hear their stories, and my heart open to their cries.

I will never leave you, Jesus promises. Whatever faces me, may I keep that promise in the forefront of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment