Popular Posts

Tuesday 30 May 2023

Trying Circumstances and Perfect Love

 

‘I’m not trying to be difficult,’ the receptionist protested, repeating the instructions she’d been given.

My patience was fraying. I’m a regular at the doctor’s surgery, where the tests are done every few weeks. I’ve never had to do it the way she now insisted on. We reached a resolution of sorts without me losing my rag. Thank you, Lord.

Sometimes structures and rules, set up for good reason, chafe and block us from doing the simplest of things. They’re inflexible. They may have been put in place to protect from poor outcomes, but our circumstances are different, and it feels like they’re designed to impede common sense.

I’ve just come out of two weeks’ worth of wrangling with a major US bank because of such inflexible constrictions.

God has given us structures and rules, first in the ‘set in stone’ Ten Commandments, then embodied in the loving embrace of Jesus. Jesus said he didn’t come to abolish the commandments but to fulfil them.

Jesus fulfils the Commandments through every cell of his body. He sees each of us with the eyes of love. It isn’t that he bends the rules or downgrades God’s holy standards. It’s that he, in wisdom and love, reaches out to us in unconditional love, drawing us into his presence and revealing, piece by piece, his better way. Flexibility and firmness combine in perfect love.

May I surrender to that pursuing love today, listening to his tender whisper and responding to trying circumstances as he would.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment