Popular Posts

Monday 1 May 2023

May Day

 

May Day.

Remembering Mrs Reims, the dear old lady who always bought whatever my sister and I had made and were selling door-to-door, encouraging us to return to her with whatever didn’t sell and she would buy the rest, be it neighbourhood news-sheets we wrote, mud pies we made, or napkin flowers with some lemon drops in the middle.

On May Day, she was the first neighbour to be given our annual homemade May baskets filled with flowers from Mom’s garden. We would hang the basket on her door handle, ring the bell and run away. She knew where they came from.

After my walk with Mary this morning, I continued into the woods to spend some time with God. Those have been ‘my’ woods for over forty years, and the Lord has heard many a cry from my heart there over a whole variety of things. He has also heard many a song of praise from a thankful believer who sees his hand in everything – or at least, tries to see his hand in everything.

I noticed the channels widened so enthusiastically by three of my grandsons and their daddies several months ago. It lies clogged again, dammed by the detritus of twig and leaf, mud and rock, washed there in winter and spring storms. The water is sour, unable to run free and clear, purified with oxygen and movement.

It is so easy for my spirit to become dammed by the detritus of life, of harsh words or isolation, of unintentional snubs or fears of the future, of anxieties and responsibilities. Lord, I come to you on this Monday morning, asking you to do what my sons and grandsons did to that ditch in the woods and clear away all the accumulated detritus. I want your clean, clear waters, purified by the oxygen of the Spirit, to run freely through my spirit, mind and body. May others, in looking at me, be refreshed by a nuance of You.

Take away the stench of stagnant waters

Thank you for this day. Thank you for the joy of this moment. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment