Popular Posts

Friday 27 October 2023

Self Portrait

 


I noticed this self-portrait this morning, drawn by one of my grandchildren on her first day of school.

It looks just like her.

A lovely big smile lights up, not just her face, but the room. Even her eyes are smiling. Hairstyle is a little wonky, a little messy. Arms are extended as if awaiting a loving embrace, or waiting to give one. Clothes are unimportant.

I had a shortened walk this morning in the rain, and out of my bank of past worship songs, I found myself singing one from my early days as a newly committed believer: Wind, wind blow on me; wind, wind, set me free; wind, wind, the Father sent the blessed Holy Spirit. It was a real favourite in the early 80’s, when people like me were newly aware of the third person of the Trinity.

One of the stanzas which I remember is: ‘Set us free to love our brothers; set us free to live for others; that the world, the Son might see, and Jesus’ Name exalted be.’

We are being bombarded in the media with heart-breaking pictures of injured and terrified children caught in the strife of the Middle East. My heart weeps to think what sort of self-portrait one of those poor kiddies would draw.

In all places of violence and war, Lord, I pray that you would raise up believers who love – not just other believers – but enemies. Inspire those in the crucible of hatred and strife, Lord: inspire them with vision and forgiveness, with courage and faith, confident that You never leave nor forsake them as they do what they can to calm the storm.

Be exalted, Lord. Speak Peace, Jesus, into the storms raging in our world today, and restore innocence and joy to the little children.

No comments:

Post a Comment