Popular Posts

Friday 6 October 2023

Licked to Death

 

A short walk to the neighbour’s to give her some apple cake. She’s been feeding the cat while we were in Glasgow helping Mhairi get settled.

I phoned ahead, hoping they would corral their exuberant German shepherd Abby, who, if she doesn’t whap you onto the ground in sheer delight, is likely to lick you to death.

My hopes were in vain.

‘You don’t mind Abby, do you?’ he asked.

The thing is, I am a doggy person. I don’t mind Abby; I even like Abby, but I don’t like her wet tongue lashings and her sharp claws, which are likely to tear skin or trousers.

My parents were US Marines in WW2. They ran a ‘tight ship’, we were often reminded, where we had to ‘shape up or ship out’. There was lots of laughter and banter, but my sister and I knew they weren’t joking about the self-control. We had to behave, mind our manners, respect others and respect property.

One of the fruits of the Spirit is self-control. Obviously Abby needs work on that one … Probably a lot of us could use a good dollop of self-discipline.

Funny, that I often ask God to help me to respond with kindness and gentleness, to be understanding and patient, to fill me with his joy and peace. Not so sure I ask for him to swell my store of self-control.

I’m not likely to lick anyone to death. But I’m sure there are many things I do which are pure self-indulgence.

No comments:

Post a Comment