Popular Posts

Saturday 11 November 2023

War and Peace

 Veteran’s Day. 86 degrees in Seal Beach. Cloudless, blue expanse of sky. So good to connect with my university friend. We’ve known each other over fifty years. Memories of trying to get a tan together at UCR: before jobs, husbands, children. 

On the way to meet her, my GPS knew there was an accident bringing traffic to a halt, so she directed me, three times, to take the off-ramp, stay left, and rejoin the freeway. I’m not sure that is quite legal but there was a line of us doing it until we got past the accident scene. All had the same GPS guide I guess, and it kept some traffic moving.

On the return journey, she took me on a different freeway entirely, because the 405 was totally clogged with another accident. I was back near Torrance in under an hour, thinking about Veteran’s Day, thinking about Dad. Mom received a thank you certificate the other day for her service in the Marines, but Dad was the one who fought on Saipan.

I detoured to the cemetery. I know he isn’t there, but still. There is a connection in place.

They fought. So many died. And yet still wars pepper the globe, people suffer and flee, are traumatised, injured, and killed.

Maranatha. Come, Lord Jesus, Prince of Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment