Popular Posts

Thursday 14 December 2023

Thank you

 

‘A thank you would have been nice.’ This was followed by some invective against the person who posted an inquiry, which was asking if anyone might have a space in a car travelling from London to Banchory on December 24th, returning the 27th.

The writer was me. I was making what I thought was an innocent inquiry on behalf of a friend. I was unprepared for the sarcastic attack.

Perhaps I should have said thank you. I guess I would think, more correctly, I should have said please. I certainly would have said it to anyone responding with helpful advice. Mea culpa.

More startlingly, another person jumped in with a comment that Scots were never polite, which occasioned a back-and-forth between these two individuals which was anything but polite. (I did then identify myself as American, who has always found the Scots, English and even Americans, by and large, polite).

My take-away from this exchange was just how quick people are to slam each other. Perhaps I live in a bubble of friends and acquaintances who are polite in action and attitude, even if the actual word is sometimes missed out.

May I not fall prey to stresses and pressures which drive me to explode with criticism at others. May my actions and attitudes to others today reflect the kindness and love of Christ, our Saviour, who gave up the glory he had to be born in humble circumstances and walk among us, so that we might walk with him for all eternity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment