Popular Posts

Saturday 2 December 2023

Flibberty gibbets

 

Hungry song birds flutter round the feeders, jockeying for purchase on the wire containers. The feeders swing gently as they land and peck and quickly give way to the next hungry bird. The woodpecker appears and quickly commandeers the feeder, which sways wildly for a moment.

It’s relaxing and mesmerising to watch the graceful creatures alight and take off after only a moment’s pecking. I’d have thought once a bird landed, it would peck away like mad until it had its fill, but no. A few pecks usually before they lift off and make way for the next.

Sometimes I sense that I do an awful lot of fluttering around God’s Word without doing much ‘tasting and seeing’. I peck in and nibble a morsel perhaps, without really hanging on and getting all the nourishment God has available to me.

May I learn to lean into and savour the spiritual food God provides for me, and stop flittering around and flying off to the next task without properly ‘reading, marking, and inwardly digesting’ the words which come from the mouth of God.

May the often frenzied activity of my life be tamed so that I really wait and watch with the Lord, feasting on his word.

No comments:

Post a Comment