Popular Posts

Tuesday 19 December 2023

Muddy Mess

 

A glorious day to be alive! The sun is bright and has a gentle warmth in it, though the air sits on zero. I’m having a rich time, playing through our collection of CDs to choose which ones to keep. You know: decluttering. I am listening to wonderful praise music from down the decades, so as I went for my walk on this sunny afternoon, I sang out my love for Jesus. Inspired by the songs of many believers.

Every day when I walk, I pass a field which is nothing but squelchy mud and a puddle large enough to be termed a lochan. In the corner of the mud, a sad herd of cows congregates around a hay feeder, up to their knees in mud. The farmer has explained that the only way out of the field is through the water, and cows will not readily walk through water. So, until the water is absorbed or evaporates, these poor beasts are condemned to wallow in the mud.

As I headed past the field just now, I noticed one cow lying in the mire. Her back was to me, black with mud. Then I saw another cow was patiently licking away the mud from the muddy cow’s ear. A tender touch. What does a cow feel? Those poor animals. And when they finally exit the field, it will be into a truck heading to the abattoir. It’s enough to make me give up the occasional burger or roast beef…

We are all like that mud-drenched cow, lying in the mud of the world, covered in whatever mess we have fallen into, whatever filth has splashed on us. Jesus gave up his glory in heaven to clean us up. Patiently he comes to each one of us, gently washing away all the grime and dirt, preparing us for everlasting life.

Here I am, Lord. Dirty again. Cleanse me until I am white as snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment