Popular Posts

Tuesday 30 January 2024

Stretching Shadows

 

The early-morning winter sun sits low on the horizon, its beams highlighting the frosty bushes and frozen earth with twinkling sparkles. It casts long shadows and as I walk, I become increasingly aware of my own shadow stretching forward, three times my height.

I stepped outside to walk, carrying with me the January blues: annual American tax admin to attend to for Mom and me, other financial admin that needs attention. God spoke to me from that shadow that loomed in front of me. The actual things which need attention are a fraction of the size I let them assume. When I just get down to it and do what I need to do, I discover it isn’t as onerous as I built it up to be.

How many of our anxieties and concerns loom larger than they are! The size and importance we allow them to assume can intimidate and stall us,  throwing us into the January blues.

So whatever shadow has swelled bigger than its reality, it’s just a misperception. I determine today to keep my concerns the size they really are, dwarfed by the love of God and the truth that he walks this frozen earth with me, loving, guiding and directing my steps. May I be more aware of His shadow accompanying me than I am of any shadow cast by the world’s demands or expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment