Popular Posts

Thursday 17 November 2011

Selective Hearing


Why is it that we are more tuned in to negative comments than positive? That we are excited to pass on salacious gossip? That self-esteem is so easily undermined by a half-heard criticism?

Negative comments snowball and bury any encouraging noises we may have also heard. We can misinterpret someone’s words, facial expression, or emails and read all sorts of unintended meanings into them. When we pass our conclusions on to someone else, damaging words begin ricocheting everywhere and there are casualties. Unity and friendship and even love are undermined. 

I’m thinking in Christian circles but it happens in every walk of life. We make assumptions and act on them.

Well, I have taken a stand against that in a very small corner of my life this afternoon. Where negative thoughts were storming ahead, I took them captive and instead began praying for the Lord’s perspective on a certain situation. In faith I am trusting that he has the situation under control and that I am even going to be surprised by something really good.

We are people of hope. We are people of love. We are people saved by grace. 

I’m going to try to listen to the whole story next time, and give others the same break I hope they give me when I mess up.

With God’s help, I may manage it.

No comments:

Post a Comment