Popular Posts

Monday 26 March 2012

Sunshine and Daffodils


Wow. What a homecoming. I flew off to Israel and California, where I experienced hail and rain (intermingled with some sunshine and warmth), and returned to the northeast of Scotland baking in the mid-70s. We’re havin’ a heatwave, and fortunately I got back in time to enjoy some of it.

It’s been a manic but wonderful two weeks, with intermittent internet access and intermittent energy to write a blog, but now I’m back in the ‘hillock I will try to resume a routine.

My main thought after such a trip is how good God is. He took me places I never dreamt I would be. He smoothed the way so that my dear Mom, 87 years old and with a stress fractured foot, was able to participate fully in the Holy Land tour. Her resilience and true grit were an inspiration, and the gift of the tour was to sit beside her in the Garden of Gethsemane and hear her dear voice singing loud and clear a hymn she sang as a child and which she says she sang to me as a baby (it worked too well – I must have fallen asleep immediately because I didn’t know it!) Amazing. Sitting underneath olive trees that were 3,000 years old, facing the wall of Jerusalem with the gate which Jesus would have passed through many times, through which Judas would have led the Temple soldiers, a shorter distance than I ever imagined across the Kidron Valley.

I hope to develop more reflections on the trip as the jet lag recedes and the brain kicks back into creative mode. 

Today I just give a heartfelt thanks to my Lord and Saviour, for my mother, my family, the trip and the homecoming, sunshine, daffodils dancing in the breeze, and two big bunches of roses from my dear soul mate Don. 

What more could a woman want?

No comments:

Post a Comment