Popular Posts

Wednesday 22 August 2012

Spit in the Eye


I’ve been researching and writing an article on maternal deaths worldwide. I’ve just finished the article after numerous drafts, a mountain of statistics, phone calls and emails and google searches. 

It’s kind of overwhelmed me. I’d no idea just how bad it is for thousands – no, millions of women in the developing world who face childbirth unaided. 

And I guess I feel like Jesus has just spat in my eyes. I don’t mean that in any offensive way. I’m looking at Mark 8:22. A blind man was begging in Bethsaida, and his friends brought him to Jesus to be healed. Surprisingly – even shockingly – Jesus spat on his eyes. He regained partial vision, but not yet clear. It took a second time of Jesus touching his eyes for him to be able to see with clarity.

I can see clearly now. And that makes me think of the story in Matthew 25 about the sheep and the goats. The sheep were the ones who – even unwittingly – were a blessing to others through their compassion and helpfulness. The goats were the ones who – again, even unwittingly – didn’t help.

I actually love the fact that the ‘sheep’ and the ‘goats’ in Jesus’ parable weren’t aware of the high priority God gives to compassion, justice and mercy, even going so far as to identify himself with those suffering in a myriad of ways. They didn’t act – or not act – out of a sense of duty. The sheep reached out because they were impelled to by love and compassion.

I have been moved. I want to help. I don’t want to be numbered with the goats – not because I’m fearful of consequences, but because I’m heartbroken to think of women just like me (well, a little younger...) going through such needless pain, trauma and tragedy. 

The article will be printed in Woman Alive in December’s issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment