Popular Posts

Tuesday 7 August 2012

The camera never lies


I’m sure the camera does lie ...

The expression used to be, ‘the camera never lies’. I know that isn’t true anymore, what with Photoshop and airbrushing and so on. 

I just got my picture taken in one of those photo booths where you get four printed out for official use in passports or documents. I wish the camera had lied, just a little bit! I look as old as the hills. Sorely in need of airbrushing.

Part of the trouble with those official pictures is the requirement that you keep a straight face. I look like I’ve been in a police cell. I don’t understand the reasoning. My default reaction to meeting someone, for instance at a security barrier in an airport, or getting on a bus, is to smile. If the official is comparing the living and breathing me to this grumpy old lady in the picture, I hope that they have trouble seeing it’s the same woman. 

I am so grateful that God looks at what’s on the inside rather than at my outward appearances. As youth fades and the years take their toll, I am praying that the inner me is looking increasingly beautiful! I know that doesn’t happen automatically; grumpy old men and women are a dime a dozen. 

I’m determining that that is not going to be me. I am going to make every effort to stay as close to God as I can, so that the core of my being reflects something precious made by God, even as gravity pulls me down. I want a radiant inner life to reflect God to the world, however I appear physically.

By the grace of God, I will manage it, but not by my own efforts. That’s for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment